Home     Sitemap      Contact Us
Warrenton Homepage
Water Sewer Department
Helpful Information and FAQs

I am a renter. How do I establish an account?
  1. Customer will have to come to the Water Sewer Department at Town Hall to apply for service.
  2. Customer must complete application which includes mailing & service addresses, date of birth, photo
    identification with signature and one other form of identification, social security card, phone numbers, place of employment, landlord with their contact information and other emergency contact information.
  3. Customer must provide a copy of executed lease or rental agreement.  Only the renter who is named in the rental agreement may open a utility account.
  4. Customer must pay deposit for service.


I am a property owner who wants to open an additional account.
Property owners who have existing accounts in good standing for at least a year must complete an application for service but will not be required to pay a deposit.

May I take over an account from a current customer?
No.  The existing account will be closed and any deposit refunded or applied to the final bill.  You will need to establish a new account.

When are meters read and when are bills due?
Meters are read on or about the 15th of each month.  Bills are prepared and mailed by the 25th of the month and are due on the 15th of the following month.  There is a grace period until the 20th after which a late charge is applied.  Accounts not paid by the end of the day on the 20th will be added to a service cut-off list and a reconnection charge will be applied in addition to the late charge.  This charge is for creating the service cut-off list and removing an account from the list, whether or not the water is physically turned off and on.

Where does the Town's responsibility end and mine begin?
For water lines the Town's responsibility ends at the customer side of the water meter.  This means that the Town will make any needed repairs to ensure a safe and dependable water supply to this point.  The property owner is responsible for all plumbing issues beyond the water meter.
The Town's responsibility for maintenance of sewer lines is to the cleanout at the edge of the road.  The property owner is responsible for any repairs from that point to the building.  All new service is required to include a cleanout next to the road and it is strongly recommended that property owners predating this requirement have them installed.

I had a big leak that was repaired. Why do I have to pay for that water?
The Town is not responsible for any plumbing issues on the customer's side of the water meter.  Although you may not have had the use of the water lost as the result of a leak, the Town had to buy and provide the water however it was used.  This is part of the cost of a home repair that may be difficult to manage but is not a cost that should be shared by the Town or other utility customers.


How much water do leaks waste?
  • A leaky faucet that drips at the rate of one drip per second can waste more than 3,000 gallons per year?
  • If your toilet is running constantly, you could be wasting 200 gallons of water or more every day, or 6,000 gallons a month
  • If your toilet is leaking, the cause is most often an old, faulty toilet flapper. Over time, this inexpensive rubber part decays, or minerals build up on it. It's usually best to replace the whole rubber flapper—a relatively easy, inexpensive do-it-yourself project that pays for itself in no time
  • A showerhead leaking at 10 drips per minute wastes more than 500 gallons per year. That's enough water to wash 60 loads of dishes in your dishwasher
Official Web Site of Town of Warrenton, NC. Copyright 2021. All Rights Reserved.

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM