Home     Sitemap      Contact Us     Jobs
Warrenton Homepage
Police Quicklinks
Frequently Asked Questions

How do I file a police report?
Many times filing a police report is as simple as answering a few questions. The officer taking the report will need basic information such as your name, address, date of birth and the specifics of the incident. This information will be used to track your case. Remaining anonymous will depend on the specifics of the case. Many times an officer will ask for a written statement from witnesses to the crime or from the victim of the crime. Although some reports can be taken over the phone some will require that an officer meet with you face-to-face which can be done either at the police department or at your home depending on the situation.

What do you do if you are the a victim of a crime?
If you are a victim of crime, immediately report it the police department by calling 252-257-3123 the administrative assistant will take your information and contact the officer on duty to assist you. If you are calling after hours (8am - 5pm Monday through Friday) your call will automatically be routed to the Warren County Communications Center and they will contact the officer on duty by radio.

When should I call 911?
Dial 911 only when approiate. In non-emergency situations 911 should not be dialed. an emergency would consist of a life threatening situation or a possible life threatening situation such as an assualt (fight), a domestic sitaution that is either verbally or pyhsically threatening, robbery, missing child, fire, crime in progress, serious injury or an emergency medical situation (such as choking, heart attack, unconsciousness, overdose, sucided attempt, etc.)

A non-emergency report would be more service oriented such as property damage accidents, non injury crashes, bad driving conduct, found or lost property or general questions or concerns to name a few.

Can I report a crime anonymously?
Yes, the Warrenton Police Department respects confidentiality, you can call the police department with information without leaving your name.

Most police reports are public record but certain instances require that although a report is public record certain parts of that record are not for dissemination. Reports can be given out with redacted information for the safety and privacy of the persons involved.

How do I report a crime?
Call the police department at 252-257-3123 during normal business hours 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday. The administrative assistant can help field your call and assist you with the correct person to speak to for your situation. They can also have the officer on duty call to speak with you. IN AN EMERGENCY DIAL 911.

How do I get a copy of a police report?
To obtain a copy of an incident or arrest report please stop by our office. There is a cost of $5.00 for each report. Please also be aware that your report will not be ready until a minimum of four (4) business days. If you would like to check on the availability of your report please call our office at 252-257-3123.

Also be advised that not all information is available to the public.

Official Web Site of Town of Warrenton, NC. Copyright 2021. All Rights Reserved.

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM