History & Architecture
Named for Dr. Joseph Warren, the patriot and soldier who fell at Bunker Hill, Warrenton was incorporated in 1779. A plot and survey of the streets and lots and public squares was made in that year by William Christmas. One hundred lots, each containing one-half acre, convenient streets and squares and a common area for the use of the town, were all established.
As one of the wealthiest towns in North Carolina from 1840 to 1860, Warrenton benefits from a large concentration of historic architecture. Prominent architects include Jacob Holt and Albert Gamaliel Jones who designed and built houses in the Federal, Greek Revival and Italianate styles.
Compromising nearly half the town and over 50 structures, the National Historic District was established in 1976. Walking and driving maps are available locally.